What Is an Uncontested Divorce?
When a couple is able to reach a comprehensive agreement of the key factors involved in their divorce, usually with the help of their attorneys and mediation, they may file for an uncontested divorce in NYC.
What Factors Must Be Agreed Upon for an Uncontested Divorce?
- Division of marital property and liabilities
- Child custody, visitation, and support
- Spousal support, unless waived
- Other agreements the couple wants documented as part of the divorce
The Uncontested Divorce Process
Filing for an uncontested divorce may be the simplest and fastest way of getting a divorce in New York. An uncontested dissolution of marriage offers the judge the opportunity to simply approve what the couple has agreed is right for them.
The steps to divorce would be:
- Reaching and documenting agreement on key factors
- Filing Divorce Settlement Agreement with the court
- Setting a court date, at which you may not be required to appear in person
- Reviewing and (usually) approving the settlement agreement by a judge, granting the divorce as soon as the legally required time period elapses
Avoiding the Complexities
The New York State uncontested divorce process works best for straightforward situations where:
- There are no minor children or their custody is not in dispute
- There are few marital assets, investments, land, homes, or rental properties
- Each spouse is self-supporting or able to become self-supporting
There’s No Argument About Getting Legal Advice First
When you are considering whether an uncontested divorce is the right choice for your situation, contact us for a consultation with our Manhattan or Queens divorce attorneys. We can help you spot the complexities that might derail your uncontested divorce in NY and smooth the NYC divorce process for everyone involved.
We have been helping individuals reach agreements and protect their futures for almost 20 years. We will focus on your individual situation and help bring closure to this chapter so you can achieve your dreams for the future.