What happens to estates when U.S. citizens die overseas?

From will contests to distributing assets, you may have many questions regarding an estate. However, it is important to remember that there are unique situations that can affect a person’s estate, such as dying in another country. Whether you are making plans related to your estate or you recently lost a loved one who was traveling at the time of their death, understanding what happens to an estate when the decedent passed away in a foreign country may be very helpful. In Jamaica, New York, and everywhere in the U.S., handling these types of circumstances appropriately is incredibly important for everyone involved.

According to the U.S. Department of State, a number of things occur when U.S. citizens lose their lives in other countries. For starters, an American consular officer will call the person’s next of kin  to inform them of the death. Next, this officer will make arrangements for their estate and belongings to be distributed according to the directions of a qualified party, such as a legal representative. Furthermore, this officer will also be in charge of making arrangements related to the decedent’s remains.

If you are planning on moving to, working in or just visiting another country, you should be fully prepared for any issues that may arise, including those related to your estate. By planning ahead, you can make life easier for your loved ones and ensure that your estate is managed properly. Please remember that this writeup in no way constitutes an alternative to legal help.

The following two tabs change content below.
What happens to estates when U.S. citizens die overseas?

Ledwidge & Associates

Ledwidge & Associates, P.C. in New York City has years of experience helping clients create estate plans that fit their needs. We have the experience and resources to handle your critical legal matters with the utmost care and attention to detail.